OpenGenius bust biggest productivity myths to help solve UK’s efficiency problem
OpenGenius, world leaders in productivity and innovation, are offering advice for British businesses, following the release of further data highlighting the UK’s lacking productivity levels.
Last week’s data, released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), showed that the productivity of UK labour dropped for a second quarter.
Responding, Chris Griffiths, CEO of OpenGenius, said: “Today we are outlining five of our tips to improve productivity in UK businesses. Just implementing one of these tips will have a dramatic effect on your business.”
1. Do the right things. One of the biggest traps employees fall into is spending their time being productive in the wrong areas. Being productive in the right tasks is essential – this is really all a matter of priorities. It’s important to work out what tasks are most pressing. To do this, workers must take into account how big the task is, when it’s due, and how it fits alongside other to-do’s.
2. Don’t multitask. It’s a common misconception that if you multitask you’ll get more done. Research, including from the American Psychological Association, has shown time and again that we can’t actually successfully do multiple tasks at once. Multitasking gives us the illusion of getting more done when we are actually wasting time we could be spending doing just one thing well.
3. Avoid micromanagement. Constant emails and “check in’s” don’t only foster a feeling of lacking trust between managers and team members, they waste precious time. Trusting employees to do their work and meet deadlines saves them time they would otherwise spend sending work updates.
4. Say “no” more. Learning to turn tasks down when you’re too busy is key to being productive. You can’t do everything, and when unexpected tasks land on your desk they can eat up your time and push out your priorities. Having the strength to say “sorry I don’t have the time to do that right now” will allow you to focus more on the work that really matters.
5. Don’t app switch. Technology can make planning your work easier, but if you use it in the wrong way it can actually detract from your productivity. Switching between email, instant messaging apps, task management tools and more, ultimately eats into your time – that’s why OpenGenius have designed DropTask to combine everything you need, in one place.
Notes to editors:
OpenGenius provide productivity software solutions for teams all over the world. Having helped the likes of Nasa, Disney and Microsoft (to name a few) they have extensive experience in the best tips for getting more done – as well as being the creators of their own task management tool, DropTask.